Sunday, October 6, 2013

Using Book Companions in Early Language Groups

I received an AWESOME email this week from one of my friends and fellow co-workers after she used one of my book companions (The Busy Little Squirrel) for her early childhood language group. I think I'm a pretty organized person but, after reading this email, this lady takes the cake! AMAZING is all I have to say. Below you will find a copy of her language center lesson plans, and pictures of how she organizes her materials for future use. In my head, this is always how language centers should run in an early intervention group. Kudos to Melissa Yakel, M.A., CCC-SLP for writing it all out for us. I am in awe of your awesomeness (you must have had an amazing teacher).

Melissa used my companion set for The Busy Little Squirrel, by Nancy Tafuri. Click here to find more info on this set or click here to see the set in my TpT store.


Melissa started by writing out lesson plans for her early childhood group. A copy of the lesson plan can be found here. During her group, she printed out three copies, and highlighted the directions for each center on one of the copies (that way if paras or other staff were assisting in a specific center they would have the directions and specific targets at their finger tips).

 

She allotted approximately 40-45 minutes for her language group, and she typically runs language groups one time per month based on her classroom's theme.

When storing her materials for future use, she utilizes several manila envelopes (in a variety of  sizes) and places each of them into one large envelope, with a copy of her lesson plan, and labels it with the title of the book.

 
 
 
 
Again, HUGE kudos to Melissa Yakel, M.A., CCC-SLP for typing up and sharing her lesson plans and storage pictures with us! You are a rock star!
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment